Stuffed peppers are an easy, filling dinner with plenty of room for variation while still getting your veggies, protein and grains. See below for a classic interpretation using our Italian sausages and Quick Tomato sauce, or swap in our Chipotle Pepper sausages for a dish with a little more heat. You can go meat-free by forgoing the sausage for a helping of quinoa or double up the meat with our Sugo di Carne sauce instead of standard tomato. Have a pairing you swear by? Come in to the store and let us know!
Capone Foods Sausage-Stuffed Peppers
4 large green peppers
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 package Capone Foods Italian Sausage, defrosted
1/2 container Capone Foods Quick Tomato Sauce, defrosted
3 cups cooked grains (barley or rice)
1/4 tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 and bring a large pot of water to boil. Slice the tops off of the peppers and scoop out the seeds.
2. Blanch the peppers in the boiling water for three minutes. Remove and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and add the onions. Cook for 2-3 minutes and add the garlic. Cut and remove the sausage casings and add the crumbled sausage to the skillet. Cook together until the sausage is browned.
4. Add in the tomato sauce, grains, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to mix until hot.
5. Lightly salt the inside of the peppers and stuff with the sausage and sauce mixture. Place in a square baking dish and cover to bake for 25-30 minutes (peppers should be tender.) Serve with grated Reggiano on top and enjoy!